Meatless Spaghetti and Meatballs might sound strange, but I promise you will love it! Spaghetti and meatballs just might be the ultimate comfort food. The al dente noodles, rich tomato sauce and the savory meatballs to top it all off. Well, fear not, your family tradition can continue.
Here is a super healthy, meatless “Veggie Lisa” version of spaghetti and meatballs, minus tons of empty calories and fat. These meatballs are packed with not only nutrients but lots and lots of flavor!
Funny story: when I made these, I put the leftover meatballs in my fridge for lunch the next day. When I went to heat them up, they were no where to be found. Totally confused, I called my husband at work and asked him if he had seen my vegetarian meatballs.
He replied “Those were vegetarian? I got hungry late last night and ate them….all. They were good!”
Yes my complete carnivore of a husband ate my veggie balls. And loved them.
Vegetarian Italian Meatballs
- Turn oven on to 375
- Heat large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 TBSP olive oil and garlic. Sauté for 2 mins. Add to food processor. Set pan aside
- Add to blender: bread crumbs, basil, tomatoes, cheese, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and 1 TBSP olive oil. Pulse until well blended
- Add chickpeas and pulse until a dough forms, don’t over blend
- Scoop out about 1 TBSP of dough and form into balls
- Coat in an equal mixture of some additional cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Reheat original pan used with some additional olive oil. Brown each ‘meatball’ for about 4-5 minutes, turning to cook evenly every few minutes.
- Place on cookie sheet in oven and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with a low sugar store bought(or homemade) marinara sauce and spaghetti squash for low carb pasta.