Summer Veggie Wrap is perfect for keeping those calories down, but getting full of food that is so good for you!
One of the things that people always say to me is that they don’t eat as many vegetables as they should because they find them boring. Unfortunately our taste buds have been overwhelmed by the amount of salt, preservatives and fat that is in the “Standard American Diet.” I try to encourage people to reset their taste buds so to speak, by eating less of the processed foods and more of the ones that Mother Nature provides for us. My biggest rule is to only eat the vegetables you like. Plain and simple. If it tastes good to you, chances are you will eat it. I absolutely hate mushrooms and eggplant, therefore I will never buy those vegetables. They will literally rot in my fridge. Having said that, I choose to buy and prepare the veggies that I do like and get excited about to eat. One great way to give vegetables a little extra flavor is to marinate them, just like you would meat. Also I know many people who prefer raw vegetables to cooked ones.
Here are some benefits of eating raw:
- All of the vitamins and minerals from the veggies are kept intact since there is no cooking process to deplete them
- Many raw foods claim to have more energy, require less sleep and lose weight
- Raw foods can help lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels
- Don’t need to spend time cooking
- Can help to reset taste buds
With summer approaching, here is a simple raw vegetable recipe that can be thrown together in minutes.
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
- Chop Veggies.
- Make Marinade.
- Toss veggies with marinade.
- Allow to sit in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Gather marinaded veggies in romain lettuce leaves.
- Top with plain greek yogurt, avocado, sesame seeds, tofu, edamame, or chicken.